Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Done... Again.

Remember that time several years ago when I shared my addiction to diet sodas? I wanted to stop drinking them.  I read that the artificial sweeteners do the same thing to my brain that processed sugars do.  And with my body type, I needed no help craving more sugars.  So, I quit Diet Cokes. I went through a full detox over the damn things.  I had what some call "detox flu," body aches, sweats, and headaches, for days.  I swore once I had kicked that habit I would never again drink that poison.

Oooopsies.  I forgot that, too.

It wasn't a conscious decision to drink the equivalent of my body weight in ounces of Diet Coke a day.  {Don't do the math; just know I was drinking A LOT of Diet Coke.} It began slowly though.  My good habits slowly eroded away.  I ordered a soda when we ate out at restaurants.  Then I started buying the 12 pack of cans at Target, rationing them for the week.

Isn't that how these things happen?  We feel good about where we are and we loosen up.  Or perhaps we just dip our toes back into the dangerous waters that once swept us away.

Well, just like that: I began drinking Diet Coke again.  And then I drank Diet Coke A LOT.  I felt like I needed 5-6 cans of it to make it through my day with 5 kids.

Until about 6 weeks ago.  I quit Diet Cokes... again.  Done. Cold turkey.  Once again I went through the detox flu. Now, I am drinking about 80 ounces of water a day.  I have found that now, since I am not drinking soda, they don't even taste good to me anymore.  Way too sweet!  It also helps to have a really cute water bottle.  I don't know why this helps, but I'm certain this is scientifically proven.

I have also found the La Croix carbonated waters are helpful to give me the bubblies that I crave in the afternoon.  They have lots of fun flavors, so I haven't gotten bored with those. They are helping me steer clear of diet sodas! {P.S. No one is paying me to say these kind words about La Croix.  I sincerely enjoy the drink!}

Just another update on the journey to health for me.  I am still having caffeine withdrawal headaches. I am so ready to be done with those.  I am thankful for lots of clean, drinking water and cute water bottle.  {And, ahem, let's be honest: lots of WC's around town to drop off my water.}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment with kindness! I love to hear what you have to say!