Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Learning Curve

If you've stopped by today, thanks for reading.  I am praying for you.  You, the readers that happen into my little space here in cyber space.  I'm not sure who reads this or if anyone really does, but my prayer is that my journey to being refined might bring glory to God.

When I started this process, I began thinking: "Ok.  The things I have tried before and am currently doing ARE NOT WORKING.  So, how can I shift my thinking completely?"  Here are some things I'm learning along the way:

  • I have to drink tons of water.  I'm learning to like it.  Especially when I had the realization that, duh, like I could buy lemons, slice them and put them in the water.  Wait for it...  Get this:  AT HOME.  Huge revelation.  Never occurred to me before.  
  • I have to drink less Diet Coke.  Drastic measures, I'm telling you.  There is a body of research that is showing that the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas actually are not helping me at all!  In fact, they may be working against any efforts at weight loss.  The research shows that our bodies respond to the sweetener just like regular sugars and can create more of a craving for sweets.  That explains a lot.  I still drink some, but am trying to choose water {with lemon, 'cause I'm smart like that}
  • I have to exercise HARD.  As my dear friend gently reminded me, it is so easy to put the extra pounds on.  It is another thing entirely to work to get them off.  I've always thought I should be able to talk and exercise at the same time.  I like to talk.  The exercise I'm trying to do now brings my heart rate up so much I can't get too many words in... you know, for trying to breathe.  I'm also learning to like this.
  • I need lots of lean protein and fewer carbohydrates.  Y'all. Did you read that statement?  Have I ever told you how much I love bread?  And potatoes?  And pasta?  Well, it's true.  And while I don't make a list of off-limit foods, my intake of these sorts of carbs has to be decreased.  My body type and hormonal condition, PCOS, also comes along with some metabolic issues.  I hope to not have Type II Diabetes when I'm 35.  
  • I have lost some weight.  Thankfully.  But mainly, I feel better.  I feel stronger.  I like moving my body more.  I like putting good things into my body.  I also really like Dewey's cake squares...  I am learning that the number on the scale or in the tag of my jeans doesn't define who I am.  God took care of that on the cross when Christ died for me!  I am no longer a prisoner held captive by the sin of this world but His beloved child.
  • I have to examine my heart all. the. time.  I am learning to understand my motivations for eating and turn my cravings towards God.  I'm learning that craving anything else more than Him is really not good for me.   There's a word for that.  It's called idolatry, and I'm so guilty of it.  I'm learning giving myself tons of grace {thank you, Patrice, for that reminder!} and looking at each new day as a new start at life!  
  • I am using a fantastic tool to help me understand the depravity of my heart.  Lysa Terkeurst's book, Made to Crave is wonderful.  So many applications for this book, in my opinion, not just food and weight.  
  • I have a long way to go, both physically and spiritually.  I fall back into sin, if even in my thinking, so often.  But I know this process is refining me to be the woman God's called me to be and giving me His strength to carryout the purposes for my life.

7 comments:

  1. First of all- I'm here reading girl! Seconf of all- thanks for sharing. I am so guilty of not drinking water. That's really sad because I LOVE water, so why would I choose anything else?

    I am cheering you on all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading too! and I really appreciate you doing this blog. It's inspiring and I like your openness and honesty. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading, and am cheering you on the whole way! Hope to see you soon!! :)

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep at it, chica. We all have a journey of some kind that we feel we must take to make us better. I'm impressed and awed that you're willing to make your personal one so public. Would that we all had such gumption. :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading and praying and probably crying some, cause that's just what I do, apparently. :) Love you so much! Remember, falling and failing are different. Grace, grace, grace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. My name is Leslie and I'm a carboholic.

    You know what helps? Just switching to whole grain breads and pastas. It might taste weird at first, but it's better for you. Enriched flour products are the debil.

    And if you make homemade macaroni and cheese with whole wheat pasta, fat free milk, a little fat free sour cream and just a bit of shredded cheese, it's totally healthy.

    Totally. But the fact that I eat the whole pot might cancel that out. Hmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meredith, count me in as a reader, as well! And as a companion with you on this journey. I am right there with you, learning to choose the water over the beloved Diet Coke, striving for consistency in my journaling and exercise habits, and seeking to feed my family and myself in a healthy way that fuels an active life. And learning more about myself and Him with every step, be it a step in the right direction or the wrong one. I am praying for you, just as I pray for myself. The company and encouragment of friends is so important - I am looking forward to sharing the journey with you!

    ReplyDelete

Comment with kindness! I love to hear what you have to say!